Now I am not a banana lover; I really can’t stomach them at all but I do like banana flavoured things. I’ve never really tried banana bread (shock I know) but I’m a total convert after making these banana cupcakes. Even Amelia ate them willingly; she too is a not a banana lover. Admittedly she was unaware they had banana in them but most likely because of the chocolate frosting she loved these!
Ingredients; (makes 12 cupcakes)
- 120g Plain Flour
- 140g Caster Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger
- 80g Butter
- 120ml Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 150g Mashed Banana
- 300g Icing Sugar
- 50g Cocoa Powder
- 100g Butter
- 40ml Milk
- Grated Chocolate for decorating (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 170C/325F/Gas3 and line your baking tin with 12 cupcake cases.
- Mix together the dry ingredients; flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger and cinnamon.
- Then using an electric mixer or electric whisk beat in the butter until you have a sandy texture.
- Add in your milk and mix until combined.
- Add your two eggs into the mixture and again beat until combined.
- Stir in your mashed banana until it’s all mixed together.
- Add the mixture into the cases. A mix like this is runnier than a normal cake mix so I found tipping it into a pyrex jug then pouring it into the cases was a lot less messy! Fill your cases until about 2/3 full.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until they are golden on the top and bounce bake when you give them a little poke.
- I like to make the frosting whilst the cakes are baking to give it plenty of time to be beaten by the mixer.
- Sift your icing sugar and cocoa powder and add in your butter and milk. Start the mixer on a high speed and beat together until it’s thick and fluffy.
- Once your cakes are baked move them onto a cooling rack and let them cool fully before icing.
- Pop your frosting into a piping bag/sandwich bag with the corner cut off and pipe onto your cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with your grated chocolate for extra decoration.
Do let me know if you try out this bake!
Thanks for reading!xx