I’ve been a bit uninspired with my baking of late. I’ve given up chocolate for lent which is actually really hard and most of my bakes usually include that key ingredient…chocolate! I was sent some lovely baking supplies from ALDI which will be in store to buy in April and it really got me wanting to bake again. I had a little think and thought with it being Spring a Carrot and Walnut Cake would be a lovely bake to go with.
For the Cake-
- 140ml Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 200g Light Brown Sugar
- 275g Grated Carrot
- 100g Chopped Walnuts
- 180g Self-Raising Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 Teaspoons of Ground Cinnamon
For the Frosting-
- 300g Cream Cheese
- 50g Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 350g Icing Sugar
- Orange Food Colouring
- 30g Crushed Walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 160C/Gas2. Prep your 13 x 23cm loaf tin.
- For the cake; beat together the eggs in a large bowl.
- Add in the oil, brown sugar, grated carrot and chopped nuts.
- Sift in your flour.
- Add in your bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon.
- Stir these ingredients in until fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin.
- Cook in the oven for around 45minutes-1hour. Until the top is golden brown or until you can insert a skewer and it comes out clean,
- Leave for 5 minutes before tipping it out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool fully.
- To make your frosting I would recommend using a freestanding mixer just to make it thicker and fluffier but it would work by hand/hand mixer too.
- Beat together the cream cheese and butter until combined.
- Add in the vanilla extract and icing sugar and leave it to whisk for a little while.
- I like to leave it for about 20 minutes so it’s nice and thick!
- Take out two spoonfuls of the frosting and put into another bowl and colour with orange food colouring.
- Using a knife spread over the uncoloured cream cheese icing over the top and sides of the cake.
- Using a piping bag and a small nozzle pipe over the orange frosting with lines back and forth.
- Sprinkle over the crushed nuts.
- Your cake is ready to slice and enjoy!
This carrot and walnut cake is so moist and tastes delicious. It’s a lovely one to bake and have a slice each day, as it lasts really well. Definitely one I’ll be making again, I think it would also be really nice to make almost mini versions to enjoy over Spring and Easter.
I loved the size and shape of the loaf tin and the scales and timer were perfect. I could set two times on the timer; one for the full amount of time and one for half way to remind me to check it and spin it round. The cake storage was perfect for this bake as I can leave it in there to keep it moist and just undo the lid when I want to cut a slice. So keep an eye out for these products in stores in April.
Do let me know if you try this bake out!
Thanks for reading!xx