I love baking and my latest creation were Chocolate Malteser Cupcakes- really simple recipe but they taste incredible!
Firs things first you need your kitchen aid…
This was mine; she wasn’t actually very helpful at all and just sat eating spoons and throwing them at me. But always handy to have yourself a sous chef.
But seriously for the cakes you will need:
- Preheat the oven Gas3/170C/325F
- Put flour, cocoa powder, butter, salt, baking powder and sugar into mixer and combine until like sand (this can be done by hand too)
- Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla together in a jug then pour in about half into the flour mixture.
- Beat to combine (high speed if you are using a mixer)
- Add the rest of the milk mixture (slower speed if you are using a mixture)
- Mix until smooth and until there aren’t any lumps!
- Spoon the mixture into 12 cases about 2/3 full.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25minutes
- Check with a skewer or a knife that they are cooked (should come out clean)
- Leave these to cool for as long as possible before decoration.
For the butter cream:
250g icing sugar
60g crushed Maltesers
2 drops vanilla extract.
- I find the easiest way to crush Maltesers is by putting them into a bag and hitting them with a rolling pin until broken up so do this first.
- Combine the butter, sifted icing sugar, milk and vanilla until creating a buttery yummy mixture- this again can be done by hand or in a mixer.
- Add most of the crushed Maltesers leaving a small amount to be sprinkled on top of the cakes.
- Leave this in the mixer for about 10minutes or continue to mix until it is thick and frosting-like. (I find using a mixer/handheld mixer works best for butter cream).
- Add to cakes once they are completely cool (otherwise icing melts) -this can be done with a piping bag or just a spoon!
- Finally sprinkle the remaining crushed Maltesers over the top of the butter cream for decoration
Finally sit down and eat one…or two!