I’m back today with the perfect summer time recipe!
Homemade Eton Mess.
Such a crowd-pleaser and great for if you have guests over. I think lots of people think making meringue is super hard but its actually pretty easy so that is the recipe I will be sharing today.
This recipe makes enough for one medium sized Eton Mess enough for 4-5!
– 3 Large Egg Whites /4 Small-Medium Egg Whites
– 175g Caster Sugar
– Pinch of Salt
-Punnet of Strawberries chopped in half
-Chocolate for decoration
1. Preheat the oven to 14oC/Gas1 and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. Whisk the egg whites and salt in a bowl with an electric mixer until the egg whites form stiff peaks this will take around 5 minutes. (You should be able to turn the bowl upside down without the egg falling out!)
3. Whilst whisking add the sugar around a spoonful at a time.
4. Once all the sugar is added the mixture will be stiff, glossy and very sticky!
5. Using a metal spoon/piping bag place the meringue onto the prepared baking trays. – I actually only used one baking tray in the end but would do two next time as it was too thick and took longer to cook. I decided to make one large shape as I wanted to make one Eton Mess but you could make smaller sized shapes if you wanted to break it up or make individual portions.
6. Bake in the oven for around 4o minutes. It may take longer depending how thick you’ve spread the meringue. You want it to feel dry to touch and cracking slightly. Leave to cool.
7. Once ready to serve either break your meringue up to make the shape you desire. I broke mine slightly to fit into a round plate shape. Cover with cream and strawberries and grate some chocolate over the top for decoration.
8. Serve immediately or pop back in the fridge to enjoy later!
I really enjoyed making this one as I’ve not made meringue that many times before and I’ve definitely learned a few tips and things not to do when I do so again. What I loved about homemade meringue compared to shop bought is the sticky inside. It’s dry and hard on the outside but you get the softer sticky inside which tastes so good! And who doesn’t love the combination or strawberries and cream. A winner all round.
Thanks for reading!xx