Happy December everyone! I’m very excited that this month is here and I can’t wait to enjoy the entire month of Christmas. I have lots of fun stuff planned for myself and Amelia starting with us making gingerbread-YUM! I can’t wait to share our festive month and advent adventures with you all amongst other blog posts. Probably not every day but when we do something festive or fun I’ll share it with you.
Yesterday was the 1st of December so I gave Amelia her Christmas Countdown Box which she loved! Also waiting for her this year was The Elf on the Shelf®. This is our first year with an Elf and I’m quite excited. You can find out more about them on their website. I think this year will be more for getting ideas and explaining it. I think it is never too early or late to start Christmas traditions and this will be one that carries on for many years. We are yet to name our Elf as Amelia wasn’t feeling totally orginial yesterday calling him “Elf” but I’m going to have fun hiding him in different spots in the house and seeing what mischief he gets up too!
Amelia got straight into her Christmas Countdown Box advent calendar first then hunted through the books and dvds! I have a blog post from her doing the exact same last year and I love that we are creating memories and starting traditions!
We popped to Tesco to get some bits for baking and had to have a peek down the Christmas isle where Amelia was in her element with chocolate everywhere. We also picked up some treats for lunch.
We set to work in the afternoon baking some gingerbread men. I’ve never made Gingerbread before and I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was. Amelia got stuck in especially with the decorating. I just picked up some squeezy icing from the shops instead of making it as it was easier for Amelia to use along with glitter and smarties!
Ingredients; (Makes 15-20 depending on size)
-400g Plain Flour
-2 Teaspoons Ground Ginger
-1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
-125g Soft Light/Dark Brown Sugar
-140g Golden Syrup
- Put the butter and sugar into a mixer or cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and the treacle , beating it together until combined.
- Turning the mixer down slowly add in the four and the spices until it forms a dough.
- Wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for 30 minutes!
- Preheat your oven to 170C/325F/Gas3.
- Once out of the fridge leave it for 10 minutes until it is at room temperature then begin to work the dough and roll it out.
- Roll it out to around 4mm thickness then cut out your gingerbread men. We used two different sizes until it was all gone!
- Place onto baking/greaseproof paper on a baking tray and put in the oven.
- Bake for 10-15minutes then leave the gingerbread to cool completely.
- Once cool get decorating!
I’m really happy with how they ended up they taste delicious and Amelia had so much fun decorating them. She had to squeeze the icing so hard to get it out she was practically shaking but was so pleased with herself when she did! If you don’t fancy the baking you could just buy some ready made biscuits and decorate those.
It was a really lovely festive way to spend the 1st of December. We ended the day with Amelia going to bed in her new Christmas pjs! Which she loved as they have Peppa on them. Seems totally fair to wear them as much as possible for the next month!
What fun Christmas activities do you have planned for the month?
Thanks for reading!xx
P.S Check out our festive logo!!