We are off to Camp Bestival in a couple of weeks and as it’s space themed I thought we would get stuck into some space crafts! These simple straw rockets are so easy to make and are great fun.
These are so simple and you will probably have the bits you need laying around the house. You just need to make sure you have two different kinds of straws one that fits inside another and the rest of the steps are nice and easy. I just used some basic plastic ones and some paper straws, plastic ones fit perfectly inside the paper ones.
Plus I’ve got a FREE printable rocket template for you so you can just print that off and get going.
All you need to make them is;
- FREE Printable Rocket Template
- 4x larger straws
- 4x smaller straws
- Colouring Pencils
- Glue Dots
How to make the Rocket Straws;
- Print out your free rocket template. Just make sure when you download it doesn’t adjust the scaling size so they print with all four on 1A4 page!
- Colour in your rockets however you like.
- Cut out the coloured in rockets.
- Cut the smaller straw to the length of the rocket.
- Tape up one end of the straw so that air can’t get out of it.
- Place two glue dots/tape at the top and middle of the small straw and stick this to the back of the rocket- don’t put any glue/tape on the bottom half otherwise the larger straw won’t have anywhere to go.
- Push the big straw around the small straw and there you have it! Your super simple rocket straws!
Then it is time to have some fun with you rockets. You need a big puff to make your rocket take off and then see how far it flies. If it isn’t moving don’t push the larger straw too far over the smaller one keeping it on the edge works just fine and if you use paper straws like the striped ones in the picture make sure they haven’t got a wet from all the huffing and puffing!
Amelia loved doing this and seeing how far they went. You could test out different angles and have rocket races to see who’s goes the furthest!
So grab your FREE printable rocket template and get crafting as children will love these straw rockets.
Get your FREE Rocket Printable
Simply fill in the form below, verify your email address
and you’ll be sent a link to download your free template.
Thanks for reading!xx